Lecturer/Senior Lecturer Visual Communication Design
To contribute to the management, delivery and development of the Visual Communication Design academic programme, course portfolio and individual modules within the Academy of Design.
The principal function of this role will be to coordinate, deliver and manage delegated teaching and learning and assessment activities related to the curriculum and discipline across course/s at Undergraduate level. You will be required to contribute to the teaching, learning and assessment of the programme with a focus on student experience and enhancement.
MAIN DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES: The duties and responsibilities of a lecturer are inherently of a professional nature and are wide ranging.
- direct teaching delivery
- tutorial guidance and support to student’s learning
- forms of scholarly activity
- curriculum development
- assessment and feedback
- knowledge transfer and industry outreach
- educational coordination, management and administration
- participation in the processes of AOD (committee membership etc.)
- participation in quality assurance procedures
- support the recruitment and admission of students representing AOD on or to appropriate external meetings.
- To undertake specified teaching duties, specifically those relating to the delivery, teaching and learning of Visual Communication Design.
- To support the delivery of the aims, content and assessment of modules to ensure good practice is met in learning teaching and assessment.
- To support the coordination and enhancement of the curriculum for specific modules relating to Visual Communication Design; including the delivery of theory and practice, and principles of both contextual and design studies, organising workshops, coordinating assessments and taking responsibility for the professional development of specific groups of students.
- To assess the work and progress of students by referencing to the assessment criteria and provide constructive, developmental and challenging feedback to students within the specific and agreed timeframes.
- To make a contribution to the organisation of student assessment and progression procedures, including preparation for assessment boards.
- To make a contribution to the curriculum and enhancement within the Visual Communication Design programme.
- To make a contribution to the subject through your own distinctive scholarly activity and/or professional practice.
- To ensure that students’ performance is monitored and proper records are kept, and that individuals’ progress is tracked and communicated back.
- To liaise with the Programme Director of the Visual Communication Design programme in matters relating to provision within AOD.
- To participate in student recruitment, including interviewing where appropriate.
- To contribute to academic development initiatives at both programme and AOD Institutional level, particularly to assist in the planning, updating and development of relevant discipline areas of study, maintaining present standards and contributing appropriately to innovation and evolution of the subject areas.
- To develop and maintain appropriate personal IT and computer skills, both subject specific and related to general delivery of the programme.
- To take a proactive role in ensuring equality of opportunity among peers, students and other stakeholders.
- To contribute to the work of AOD, as a whole, and as expressed through the AOD Action Plan, and Annual Operating Targets, and to undertake such additional tasks as may arise in the course of executing the AOD Strategic Plan.
- Undertaking health and safety duties and responsibilities appropriate to the post.
- Maintaining and promoting equality and diversity within the terms of AOD procedures.
- To undertake such other duties as are within the scope and spirit of the job purpose, the job title, and the level.
- Maintaining liaisons with industry and other institutions in order to develop opportunities for programme and student development.
- Contributing to and maintaining relationships with alumni, staff and various professional organisations, as well as public, and private groups within the community and sectors.
- Take responsibility for the health and safety of yourself and others in carrying out the duties of the role.
- To promote equality, diversity and inclusion in your performance of your duties.
- To actively participate in learning and development to meet the requirements of your role and the institution.
Determination of starting salary at level is based on the level of experience of candidates in teaching, leadership and management and scholarly activity/professional practice.
Appointment at this level is made on the experience of candidates in teaching, leadership and management and scholarly/professional practice (demonstrating this is equivalent to the level) and in consideration of the following factors; holds a recognised teaching qualification relevant to the sector – PGCert or HEA; demonstrates competence in academic teaching and management (for instance unit delivery, support and management; year/subject co-ordination; admissions; graduate show/exit support and/or co- ordination; key Teaching, Learning and Assessment projects; industry internship support and/or co-coordination; and has a recent demonstrable record of scholarship.
To attend meetings etc. Department liaison and other curriculum additional project work may require occasional weekend or evening delivery and other work outside ‘office hours.
Please email your CV with details of your education and experience to firstname.lastname@example.org Send in your applications ideally on or before the 31st of October 2022
To view the guiding criteria that will be used for selection purposes and for you to be effective in this post, click here.