BA (Hons) Interior Design Degree /3 Years Full Time
By Sharon Joseph, Graduate BA (Hons) Interior Design
Interior Design is the creative response to interior architectural space, existing or newly built, that considers function and use, material, space and form. Stepping beyond the creative aspect, interior design is also a big industry with its own style of working. Our degree gives you the best of both worlds with an emphasis on creativity, design theory and direct exposure to the business of interior design through collaborative projects with the interior architecture industry. Design projects investigate the key aspects of interior design i.e. re-use and remodeling, lighting and experience etc. This takes place through a range of projects within the context of retail, branding/corporate identities, museum, exhibition/event design, and furniture and art effect design as part of a bespoke interior.
This Interior Design degree is internationally recognised for producing some of the most innovative designers globally. While we guide you towards international competitions, we also create an international platform for your work at Northumbria / AOD Reveal Exhibition and the annual Sri Lanka Design Festival – a prime target for national and international recruiters and a fantastic platform for you.
IS THIS DEGREE FOR YOU?
Graduates from our course mainly work within interior design and architectural practices. There is scope to move into setting up their own interior design practice with experience work as a freelance consultant.
INTERIOR DESIGN CAREERS
Spatial Design Consultant
Hotel Interior Designer
Residential Design Consultant
YOUR DEGREE AT A GLANCE
YEAR 1 (120 CREDITS)
- DE1064 Introduction to Interior Design Projects (40 credits)
- DE1065 Interior Design Communication (30 credits)
- DE1166 Architectural Technologies for Interior Design (20 credits)
- VA0414 Historical and Contemporary Influences on Interior Design (20 credits)
- DE1066 Learning Skills through Interior Design (10 credits)
YEAR 2 (120 CREDITS)
- DE1067 Interior Design Technologies and Materials Structures (20 credits)
- DE1068 Interior Design Projects for Sustainability through Manufacture (20 credits)
- DE1070 Computer aided Design for Manufacture (20 credits)
- VA0521 Historical and Contemporary influences on Interior Design (20 credits)
- DE1069 Collaborative Interior Design Projects for Brands (40 credits)
YEAR 3 (120 CREDITS)
- DE1071 Advanced interior design Practice 1 (30 credits)
- DE1072 Design Proposition (20 credits)
- DE1075 Interior design Professional Practice (20 credits)
- DE1073 Advanced Interior Design Practice 2 (30 credits)
- DE1074 Design Rzealisation (20 credits)
By Mariyam Luhuma, Graduate BA (Hons) Interior Design
WHERE DO OUR GRADUATES WORK?
- Raashid Riza, Interior Architect at Gibberd Architects UK
- Yarmini Balasubramanium, Interior Designer Leading own practice- Design Studio
- Chamika Wickremasinghe, Design Entrepreneur with own practice that led interior design for Amanté boutique range and Hirdaramani Design Centre and is working with Ceceil Balmond.
- Chathuri Kannagara, Senior Interior Designer at DDNDesign
- Amodha Ratnayake, Interior Designer at MICD Architecture Firm and Interior Designer with own practice leading
- interior design for American & Efird Lanka (Pvt.)Ltd, Diamond Cutters (Pvt.) Ltd, Niru Diamonds–Israel, Diamond Cutters Ltd.