BA (Hons) Graphic Design Degree / 3 Years Full Time
Graphic design is about communication in its purest form. Through the creative presentation of images, facts and ideas, graphic design tells a story, delivers a message and makes an impact combining creativity with commercialism, tradition with technology and information with imagination.This is exactly what the our conceptually driven Graphic Design degree achieves for its students as in introduces the student to the role of the professional designer as a visual thinker and problem-solver.
The first year of study provides an underpinning of knowledge and key skills prior to the more specialised approach of Years 2 and 3. This gives the learning experience depth and breadth. The direction each student may take is always supported by the programme’s main aim; to provide the profession with the most appropriate new design talent.
An underpinning of theoretical, historical, cultural and professional contexts is given throughout the programme via lectures, industry visits, study tours, visiting lecturers, live projects, entry to national and international competitions giving students significant industry experience.
IS THIS DEGREE FOR YOU?
This course is ideal for students looking for a course that offers breadth as well as depth; that teaches you how to turn a good idea into a great concept within a strong industry network. If you have an innovative mind and a creative vision this is definitely the course for you.
GRAPHIC DESIGN CAREERS
• Chief Design Officer (CDO)
• Associate Creative Director
• Experiential Graphic Designer
• Branding Identity Designer
• Promotions/Campaign Director
• Content Creator
• Senior Art Director
• Editorial Designer
• Packaging Design Specialist
• Corporate Identity Designer
• Information Architect
• Editorial Illustrator
• Book Designer
• Graphic Art Project Manager
YOUR DEGREE AT A GLANCE
YEAR 1 (120 CREDITS)
- GD0400 Design Thinking, Discourse & Skills (20 credits)
- GD0401 Introduction to Visual Language & Communication (20 credits)
- VA0427 History & Influences of Graphic Design (20 credits)
- GD0402 Experimental Processes for Graphic Design (20 credits)
- GD0403 Narrative & Identity (20 credits)
- GD0404 Graphic Design Practice & Personal Development (20 credits)
YEAR 2 (120 CREDITS)
- GD0506 Brand Synthesis & Realisation in Graphic Design (40 credits)
- GD0507 Collaboration & Professional Engagement in Graphic Design (20 credits)
- GD0508 Brand Articulation in Graphic Design (40 credits)
- VA0543 Research & Critical Approaches to Graphic Design (20 credits)
YEAR 3 (120 CREDITS)
- GD0606 Experiential & Collaborative Branding in Graphic Design (40 credits)
- VA0600 Research Project (20 credits)
- GD0607 Final Major Project in Graphic Design - Branding (40 credits)
- GD0608 Collaborative Branding in Graphic Design (20 credits)
WHERE DO OUR GRADUATES WORK?
- Chani Perera, Art Director, Founder of Riot House Design Incubator.
- Ruwangi Amarasinghe, Commercial Illustrator
- Hash Bandara, Co-Founder of ‘PUSH’ Skateboards and Kings Co.
- Dihan de Silva, Brand Identity Consultant and Food Photographer
- Thilini Perera, Consultant Creative Director