BA (Hons) Design Degree / 3 Years Full Time
Graphic design is about communication in its purest form. Through the creative presentation of images, facts and ideas, graphic design tells a story, delivers
a message and makes an impact combining creativity with commercialism, tradition with technology and information with imagination.This is exactly what the our conceptually driven Graphic Design degree achieves for its students as in introduces the student to the role of the professional designer as a visual thinker and problem-solver.
The first year of study provides an underpinning of knowledge and key skills prior to the more specialised approach of Years 2 and 3. This gives the learning experience depth and breadth. The direction each student may take is always supported by the programme’s main aim; to provide the profession with the most appropriate new design talent.
An underpinning of theoretical, historical, cultural and professional contexts is given throughout the programme via lectures, industry visits, study tours, visiting lecturers, live projects, entry to national and international competitions giving students significant industry experience.
IS THIS DEGREE FOR YOU?
This course is ideal for students looking for a course that offers breadth as well as depth; that teaches you how to turn a good idea into a great concept within a strong industry network. If you have an innovative mind and a creative vision this is definitely the course for you.
GRAPHIC DESIGN CAREERS
User Interface Designer
Brand & Identity Designer
Environmental & Experiential Designer
Chief Design Officer
YOUR DEGREE AT A GLANCE
YEAR 1 (120 CREDITS)
- GD0401 - Introduction to Visual Language & Communication (20 credits)
- VA0427 - History & Influences of Graphic Design (20 credits)
- GD0400 - Design Thinking, Discourse & Skills (20 credits)
- GD0402 - Experimental Processes for Graphic Design (20 credits)
- GD0403 - Narrative and Identity (20 credits)
- GD0404 - Graphic Design Practice & Personal Development (20 credits)
YEAR 2 (120 CREDITS)
- GD0506 - Brand Synthesis and Realisation in Graphic Design (40 credits)
- GD0507 - Collaboration and Professional Engagement in Graphic Design (20 credits)
- GD0508 - Brand Articulation in Graphic Design (40 credits)
- VA0527 - Research & Critical Approaches to Graphic Design (20 credits)
YEAR 3 (120 CREDITS)
- GD0606 - Experiential and Collaborative Branding in Graphic Design (40 credits)
- VA0600 - Design Report (20 credits)
- GD0607 - Final Major Project in Graphic Design (40 credits)
- GD0608 - Collaborative Branding in Graphic Design (20 credits)
WHERE DO OUR GRADUATES WORK?
Pathum Egodawatte - Former font designer for Google, currently sitting for his Masters' at Reading University, UK
Thilini Perera – Senior graphic designer, RMIT Vietnam
Chanuka Wijeyasinghe - Art Director, Phoenix-Ogilvy, Sri Lanka
Adhila Marzook - Graphic Designer at PWC, Sri Lanka
Hash Bandara - Founder and graphic design entrepreneur behind PUSH Sk8boards
Oshadhi Paranawitane - Graphic Designer at LOWE
Ruwangi Amarasinghe - Commercial Artist, Roo
Thamal Liyanage - Packaging Designer, Dilmah