BA (Hons) Fashion & Textile Design Degree
By Manushi Navalage, Graduate BA (Hons) Fashion & Textile Design
Design, conceptual thinking, image presentation and of course individuality are just some of the qualities which combine to drive fashion. Through our award winning degree from Northumbria University UK, over the three years you study with us, you will develop your own distinctive design handwriting so that, when you graduate, you will be ready to make your mark on the world of fashion too.
In year one you get the chance to investigate and experiment with a diverse range of fashion disciplines including womenswear, menswear, textiles and knitwear. By year two you are ready to choose your specialism and can really begin to make your mark. Through a combination of tutorial guidance, project ‘crits’, lectures, competitions, live industrial projects and placements you will build your understanding, expertise and portfolio. By your final year you can realise your personal vision through a capsule collection conceived, developed and presented by you as well as creating your final portfolio of design project work, essential to get the right start in your future career.
Core Skills Achieved
CAD - Photoshop and Illustrator
Fashion IllustrationYEAR 2 (120 CREDITS)YEAR 3 (120 CREDITS)
Textile Design both Artisan and Industrial
IS THIS DEGREE FOR YOU?If you have an innovative mind, creative vision, are self motivated and 100% committed to fashion, this is definitely the course for you.
Swimwear Specialist Lingerie & Intimate Apparel Specialist
Performance Sportswear Designer
High-tech Textile Designer
Heritage Craft Textile Designer
Fashion Design & Production Supervisor
YOUR DEGREE AT A GLANCE
DURATION: 3 YEARS
YEAR 1 (120 CREDITS)
- VA0416 Fashion in the Modern Period (10 Credits)
- DE1144 introduction to Fashion and textile research and development Process (30 credits)
- DE0954 Fashion design Portfolio 1 (30 credits)
- DE1143 introduction to Garment Construction (30 credits)
- DE1038 Learning skills through Fashion (10 credits)
- DE0810 Communication techniques for Fashion (10 credits)
- VA0524 Fashion in society (10 credits)
- DE0902 digital Presentation and illustration techniques (10 credits)
- DE0948 Fashion Option 1 (10 credits)
- DE0943 Fashion Garment 2(Option – 20 Credits)
- DE1141 Fashion design Portfolio 2 (Option – 30 credits)
- DE0946 Fashion Garment 3 - Production (Option – 20 credits)
- DE0952 Fashion Garment 3 - research-concept-development (Option - 20 credits)
- DE0779 Final Fashion Portfolio (30 credits)
- DE0906 Final Collection Option (20 credits)
- DE0777 Final Collection stage a: Preparation (20 credits)
- VA0600 design studies 05 : dissertation or design report (20 credits)
- DE0778 Final Collection stage B: Production (30 credits)
By Thamali Dharmawardena, Graduate BA (Hons) Fashion & Textile Design
WHERE DO OUR GRADUATES WORK?
- Amesh Wijesekera, Winner of Graduate Fashion Week, London 2015 Located in London with design experience at Zandra Rhodes, Edeline Lee and the Future Laboratory
- Inoma de Silva, former Designer for NEXT UK in Sri Lanka. Founder of fashion brand 1331
- Rukshika Fernando, former Designer for Victoria’s Secret PINK through MAS Holdings. Founder of RumPunch swimwear
- Malka Peiris, Designer for Calvin Klein now at Norlanka
- Keshala Wickramasinghe, Senior designer at MAS ACTIVE
- Prabath Samarasooriya, Founder & Designer of fashion label ‘Prabath Samarasooriya’ featured at London Fashion Week 2013 IFS
- Lonali Rodrigo, Founder/Managing Director of fashion label ‘House of Lonali’ invited to participate at London Fashion Week 2013 IFS
- Nithya Lamahewa– Founder/Managing Director of fashion label ‘Nithya’
- Shayani Alwis- Founder/Designer of fashion label 'Shay Int.'
- Sajee Mendes- Founder/Designer of fashion label 'Mendes Ceylon'