Fashion & Textile Design
BA (Hons) Degree / 3 Years Full Time
Design, conceptual thinking, image presentation and of course individuality are just some of the qualities which combine to drive fashion. Through our award winning degree from Northumbria University UK, over the three years you study with us, you will develop your own distinctive design handwriting so that, when you graduate, you will be ready to make your mark on the world of fashion too.
In year one you get the chance to investigate and experiment with a diverse range of fashion disciplines including womenswear, menswear, textiles and knitwear. By year two you are ready to choose your specialism and can really begin to make your mark. Through a combination of tutorial guidance, project ‘crits’, lectures, competitions, live industrial projects and placements you will build your understanding, expertise and portfolio. By your final year you can realise your personal vision through a capsule collection conceived, developed and presented by you.
IS THIS DEGREE FOR YOU?
If you have an innovative mind, creative vision, are self motivated and 100% committed to fashion, this is definitely the course for you.
YEAR 1 (120 CREDITS)
- VA0416 Fashion in the Modern Period (10 Credits)
- DE1144 introduction to Fashion and textile research and development Process (30 credits)
- DE0954 Fashion design Portfolio 1 (30 credits)
- DE1143 introduction to Garment Construction (30 credits)
- DE1038 Learning skills through Fashion (10 credits)
- DE0810 Communication techniques for Fashion (10 credits)
YEAR 2 (120 CREDITS)
- VA0524 Fashion in society (10 credits)
- DE0902 digital Presentation and illustration techniques (10 credits)
- DE0948 Fashion Option 1 (10 credits)
- DE0943 Fashion Garment 2(Option – 20 Credits)
- DE0944 Fashion textile/Knit Portfolio 3 (Option - 20 credits)
- DE1141 Fashion design Portfolio 2 (Option – 30 credits)
- DE1142 Fashion textile/Knit Portfolio 2 (Option - 30 credits)
- DE0946 Fashion Garment 3 - Production (Option – 20 credits)
- DE0947 Fashion textiles/Knit Portfolio 5 - Production (Option - 20 credits)
- DE0952 Fashion Garment 3 - research-concept-development (Option - 20 credits)
YEAR 3 (120 CREDITS)
- DE0779 Final Fashion Portfolio (30 credits)
- DE0906 Final Collection Option (20 credits)
- DE0777 Final Collection stage a: Preparation (20 credits)
- VA0600 design studies 05 : dissertation or design report (20 credits)
- DE0778 Final Collection stage B: Production (30 credits)
Thomas Walker - Senior Designer, Nike
Jane Whitfield - Senior Womenswear Designer, Chloe
David Walker Smith - Menswear Designer, Selfridges
Jim Buckley - Product Director, Escada
In Sri LankaMario Sittampalam - Head of Design at MAS ACTIVE
Kithmini Liyanaarachchi - Head of Design at Amante - MAS
Prabath Samarasooriya - Founder & Designer of popular fashion label ‘Prabath Samarasooriya’, shown at London Fashion Week 2013 IFS, Hyderabad Fashion Week, Cochin Fashion Week, Colombo Fashion Week and Sri Lanka Design Festival.
Inoma De Silva - Former designer for NEXT UK in Sri Lanka , current fashion entrepreneur behind own label 1331 label
Rukshika Fernando - Former designer for Victoria’s Secret PINK through MAS Holdings and current fashion entrepreneur for own brand RumPunch
Malka Peiris - Designer for Calvin Klein through Jinadasa Manufacturers
Isuru Liyanage– Tommy Hilfiger X-Bionic Sportswear through Orient Design, Fashion designer for www.fashionmarket.lk
Lonali Rodrigo– Founder/Managing Director of fashion label ‘House of Lonali’ (Fashion Entrepreneur), invited to participate at London Fashion Week 2013 IFS.
Nithya Lamahewa– Founder/Managing Director of fashion label ‘Nithya' (Fashion Entrepreneur, invited to participate at London Fashion Week 2013 IFS